Sunday, June 10, 2007

Dishcloths and some new yarn

While I was at Ben's parents house about a week ago, I was sitting in the living room with Ben and his parents and working on my blanket. Ben's Mom mentioned that his recently deceased grandmother used to make the best dischcloths that anyone in their family had ever used. I had here lend me one of each pattern so that I could duplicate it. Here are the results:
These are the originals. One is seed stitched and the other is in garter stitch with a simple lace edge.


Here are my attempts.

The look looser because they have not been through numerous cycles of machine washing and drying like the originals. Still, I think I could've used a smaller needle on the seed stitch cloth. My lace edging is not as pronounced on the garter stitch cloth- maybe I should have used a bigger needle there. Also, one of the edges on the garter stitch cloth looks kind of smooshed.

Here are some close-ups of mine next to Ben's grandma's.




Today http://www.knitone.biz/ was having a huge yarn sale. I took advantage of the opportunity to buy some wool yarn for my upcoming tetris project. I also couldn't resist picking up a couple balls of sock yarn, some orange wool/alpaca to make Ben a new winter hat, and a cotton/synthetic blend that I'll probably use to make a warmer weather hat for myself.

No comments: