Thursday, December 20, 2007

Free.

After three weeks of tearing my hair out, finals are over. I celebrated last night with coconut rum mixed with pineapple juice, and a night of guilt-free TV with my boyfriend. Now I have over a month with minimal responsibility. I always have big plans for vacation that never come to fruition. This time around, my plans are:
*Get a puppy! (And train said puppy.)
*Read some books that have nothing to do with politics, economics, or political theory.
*Get my exercise routine back. Work on 5K running.
*Knit excuses.
*See all the cool DC stuff that I haven't seen yet, especially art museums.
*Fix my espresso machine.

Usually my big plans for vacation just fall through, but at Pitt I only got a week and a half. Now I get over a month. Hopefully these plans aren't too ambitious for the time that I have.

Right now I'm knitting baby socks for Afghans for Afghans. Pictures soon, I'm feeling lazy now. Ever since I got a ravelry membership it seems redundant to post my knitting in both places and I'm not so motivated to do it. However, I still feel that knitting blogs are absolutely worthless without pictures. Looking at the pretty things is so much more fun than reading about it.

I'm having second thoughts about the latest tea cozy design. It's tempting to frog it and make a basic felted one, but after all of the design-thought I've put into it already, I want something original. Isn't that what fiber art is all about? After all, it is both cheaper and quicker to buy stuff than make it. Knitters often ask themselves if the value of knitting is in the process or the result. For me, it's a little of both. The result portion takes its value from having an original piece that is untouched by the fashion industry. Store-bought stuff may be convenient, but hand-made items have a story and a soul.

1 comment:

Nelly Face said...

It was awesome hanging out with you, thanks for showing us all your internet knitting love! I say persist with the tea cozy. Its such a fun idea, and it already looks so cool, your gonna rock it.